HTTP Daemon is a software program that runs in the background of a web server and waits for the incoming server requests. The daemon answers the request automatically and serves the hypertext and multimedia documents over the Internet using HTTP.
HTTPd stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol daemon (i.e. Web server).
Some commonly used implementations are :
- Apache HTTP Server
- CERN HTTPd HTTP server
- Cherokee HTTP server
- Hiawatha HTTP server with Reverse proxy functionality
- Lighttpd HTTP server
- NCSA HTTPd HTTP server
- Nginx HTTP and reverse proxy server
- OpenBSD’s httpd (since OpenBSD 5.6)
- The abstract Web server concept
- Thttpd HTTP server
- TUX web server aka kHTTPd